2011 is over.
I’m quite thankful for its passing. I had a lot of b.s. going on during that year.
I had many life changes. Many steps backwards, forwards, and sideways. In between day 1 and day 365, there were heartbreaks, new beginnings, and lots of “figuring shit out.” There were many events that will play out to have been equally wonderful and awful; as life tends to be. It would be too simple to say that I am still not whole. Even though life is always a work in progress, it’s only human nature to want to feel complete. Life is a paradox. We have to learn how to deal with it. The year started with the passing of my grandmother. It ended with the smoking of cigars and the drinking of port with great company (shout out to Dave, Jake, and Luis).
On a bigger scale, and a lighter note, I believe the entire world is happy that 2011 is gone.
Yahoo reports that its top ten searches for 2011 were (in order): iPhone, Casey Anthony, Kim Kardashian, Katy Perry, Jennifer Lopez, Lindsay Lohan, American Idol, Jennifer Aniston, Japan Earthquake, and Osama Bin Laden. Wtf, mate?
Seriously, people? Osama and Japan come in AT THE END? However much responsibility I have for a few Kim K searches, I still can’t help but think: Wow, this place is fucked. A once in a lifetime world changing technological marketing genius died and he doesn’t even get an honorable mention (Sorry Jobsie, pop stars are more important).
Take a look at Google’s Top Ten.
In order: Rebecca Black, Google+, Ryan Dunn, Casey Anthony, Battlefield 3, iPhone 5, Adele, Japan/Tepco/Earthquake, Steve Jobs, and iPad 2.
Well, here’s a little relief. A bit of an insight into different user-bases as well perhaps? Interesting. Googler’s are likely to care just SLIGHTLY more about important things other than pop stars and T.V.
Some of my favorite things from 2011 (I say some because I’m obviously going to leave out something on accident) and keeping in fashion with search engine criteria:
- Spotify. I got in early thanks too…uhh, someone that I can’t remember? (If you sent me the beta invite, my apologies for forgetting)
- Modern Warfare 3. Self explanatory. I love video games. I love shooting stuff. I love pwning noobs.
- Harry Potter. Cuz that shit finally ended. For the second time.
- Music: The Black Keys had a new album, Mumford And Sons hit the U.S. shores (ya ya, release in December of ’10, but c’mon, might as well be ’11)
- SWTOR was finally released.
- TV: “Game Of Thrones”, “Shameless” crosses the pond to the U.S. and kicks ass, and “The Killing” airs. Even though Killing is painfully slow, it’s still enjoyable.
- Dramofscotch.com started up.
- Two of my best friends got engaged.
- We had football afterall.
- My nephew started calling me “Uncle Dave” and it came out, “Uck Day.”
If you like propaganda and pandering, please watch Google’s video on 2011. It’s better than Yahoo’s. And yes, I am a Google fanboy.